The Matterhorn, mountain of all mountains and the star of the natural spectacle around Zermatt: right in the field of vision from the windows of the youth hostel.
The magic of the mountains surrounds you here. All activities take place in full view of the Matterhorn, known here as "Hore" or "Horu". Since it was first conquered more than 150 years ago, this symbol of Switzerland has attracted countless mountaineers and inspired admirers to create spectacular souvenir pictures. As this majestic 4000-metre peak has so many beautiful aspects, several cableways and magnificent hiking routes will take you to one of the numerous viewpoints, such as the Gornergrat, the Klein Matterhorn (Glacier Paradise) or the Sunnegga. Skiers and snowboarders will love the slopes, which have guaranteed snow all year round and offer a view of the Matterhorn, as well as the space available for winter sports equipment in our hostel.
Take the Matterhorn-Gotthard Railway to Zermatt: the walk from the station to the youth hostel takes 15 minutes. Or board the village bus to “Winkelmatten”, get off at “Luchre” from where it’s a 1-minute walk. An electrically powered taxi costs between CHF 25.- and CHF 35.- (depending on the number of persons and items of luggage).
No cars are allowed in Zermatt!
In Täsch, the last place on the way to Zermatt, a parking charge of at least CHF 14.50/day is made.
From Zermatt Railway Station, 1.1km. Zermatt is car-free. A high-rise car park is located in Täsch, the last settlement before Zermatt, which can be used to park your car for a fee of CHF 14.50/day.
Take the Matterhorn-Gotthard Railway to Zermatt. Then the local electric bus Red Line ‘Winkelmatten’ to the stop ‘Luchre’ (10min). From the bus stop, the path to the Youth Hostel is relatively steep (10-15% incline), before a level footpath leads to the asphalted forecourt of the Youth Hostel (30m).
Number of beds
Spaces for bicycles
Bed linen included
Prices & availability
Breakfast buffet incl. Lunch on request 17.50 CHF Dinner 17.50 CHF Dinner for children aged 2–5 years 8.50 CHF Dinner for children aged 6–12 years 14.50 CHF Packed lunch on request 8.50 CHF
Further price information
- All prices per person/night, incl. VAT, exclusive of visitor's tax CHF 3.–, (Children aged 9-16: CHF 1.50 / Kids under 9 years: no visitor's tax)
- Non-members pay a daily sur-charge: CHF 7.–, families CHF 14.–
- Benefits of our annual membership
- Groups (minimum of 10 people) are advised to buy an annual membership (personal: CHF 55.– / non-personal: CHF 99.–)
- Children aged 2 to 5 stay for just CHF 15.– and children aged 6 to 12 for just CHF 25.– per night in the parents’ or grandparents’ room, including breakfast. Babies aged from 0 to 1 stay in a cot, where available, free of charge. Children’s prices do not apply to double rooms.
- Group rates for children aged 2–5 years, a flat rate of CHF 15.–; from 6–12 years, accommodation prices / group prices apply
- Car park per night CHF 7.–
- Voluntary CO2-Compensation CHF 0.30
- Rates are subject to change, all rates in CHF
The Youth Hostel has 18 rooms that offer barrier-free access, and 54 beds which are disability-friendly. Other rooms are partially suitable, depending on requirements.
The spacious rooms of Zurich Youth Hostel provide wheelchair users with pleasant freedom of movement. Almost all rooms can be reached by wheelchair users with ease. The exception to this are the two seminar rooms located in the basement, which can be accessed only via a stairway.
Room Barrier-free beds per room 4 rooms with four beds and shower/WC (wing A) barrier-free 3 beds 5 rooms with four beds and washbasin (wing A) 3 beds 9 rooms with six beds and washbasin (wing A) 3 beds
There is no ramp. The attractive inner courtyard can be reached by crossing a low sill of 1.5-4cm.
The building has two elevators. One provides access to wing A, the other to wing B. The barrier-free rooms are located in wing A. The corridor in front of the lift in wing A is 90 cm wide and in wing B 80 cm. The lifts are 110 cm wide and 140 cm depth.
- The width of the corridor in front of the elevator in wing A is 90 cm
- The width of the corridor in front of the elevator in wing B is 80 cm
- Elevator width: 110 cm
- Elevator depth: 140 cm
The width of the doors to the rooms is 80 cm.
Barrier-free wet cell
The 4-bed rooms with shower/WC can be used as private rooms. The disabled wet cells in these rooms can also be made accessible for groups from the corridor. Early booking is urgently recommended in both cases. The stipulated 4- and 6-bed rooms with a wash basin can therefore only be used by groups in combination with the 4-bed rooms (with shower/WC). Early booking is therefore also required in this case.
Further showers/WCs are available on each storey, although these are not equipped with disability-friendly infrastructure. An additional disability-friendly toilet is located on the ground floor.
The wet cell dimensions are:
- Width of wet cell door: 80 cm
- WC seat height: 44 cm
- The washbasin is wheelchair accessible: 70 cm
- Shower seat
- Shower handle
- Nearest railway station: Wollishofen Railway Station (no wheelchair access!)
- Nearest bus stop: "Jugendherberge", approx. 80m
- Nearest tram stop: "Morgental", approx. 500m
- ZVV-Contact provides information about the current timetable: +41 848 988 988.
By train / by foot
Variant 1: From Zurich Main Railway Station, take the No. 7 tram in the direction of "Wollishofen" to the stop "Morgental". Some trams are low-floor trams. From the stop "Morgental" continue for 500 metres along the pavement of Mutschellenstrasse.
Variant 2: From Zurich Main Railway Station, take the No. 13 tram in the direction of "Albisgüetli" to the stop "Waffenplatzstrasse". Once there, change to the No. 72 bus, and travel in the direction of "Morgental" as far as the bus stop "Jugendherberge".
The youth hostel has a chargeable, wheelchair-accessible car parking space. The distance from the parking space to the main entrance is around 50 m. We will be pleased to make the disabled car parking space available free of charge for holders of an official blue disabled person’s parking permit.
Links for public transport
- BTZ Behinderten Transporte Zürich
Phone: +41 44 444 22 11 (for same-day reservations)
Phone: +41 44 444 22 12 (for future reservations)
Albisstrasse 44, 8038 Zürich
Phone: +41 43 399 88 66
- Grüningen-Greifensee-Weg, route no. 889
- Pfäffikersee-Rundweg, route no. 890
- Knonaueramt-Weg, route no. 891
- Flughafen-Rundweg, route no. 892
- Albisgrat-Höhenweg, route no. 893
- Limmat-Uferweg, route no. 897
- Information about the VBZ City of Zurich
- Wheelchair-friendly swimming pools (in German)
- City Tours for the hard of hearing Zürich Tourismus, Phone: +41 44 215 40 51
- City Tours for the visually impaired Zürich Tourismus, Phone: +41 44 215 40 88
- Zoo Zurich
- Disabled parking in the City of Zurich
- Public toilets
- Wheelchair-compliant cinemas
- Special guided tours for the disabled
- Mobility International Switzerland (MIS): Barrier-free excursions and activities