We're currently closed. We'll be back on 23 Jan 2015. Bookings and requests can be accepted.
Locarno Youth Hostel
Because the Canton of Ticino is located almost at sea level (at an altitude of 192 metres), it is possible to enjoy a Mediterranean climate from springtime until the end of November. It also means that a large part of life at the "Palagiovani" is spent outdoors - for example at a "Grigliata" in the inner courtyard surrounded by the building's three wings. Naturally, nearly all the modern double and four-person rooms have a balcony. And it's also pleasant to get together on the veranda or under the pergola.
Palagiovani - the first palace of youth
In addition to the Youth Hostel, the unique "Palace of Youth" also houses Ticino's local radio station, a youth bureau and the music school. There's always something going on in this stately old house, once a boarding school for young ladies. The Palagiovani is also suitable for congresses, thanks to its various seminar rooms.
Locarno is the starting point for a wide range of activities: whether sailing on Lake Maggiore - for example from Ascona to the Brissago islands - or energetic mountain bike excursions in the valleys of the Sopraceneri. The valleys of Ticino offer several hundred kilometres of hiking paths, there are 700 km of these in the Vallemaggia alone. For the adventurous, there is action such as bungee jumping or canyoning. Or how about a visit to the Teatro Dimitri in Verscio?
Film festival, Piazza Grande etc.
Just past the Youth Hostel begins the old city centre of Locarno. Its centre is the Piazza Grande where in summer there are festivals and events almost every week. The most famous festival is the film festival in august.
But there is even more in Locarno: the big arcades along the Piazza Grande that invite you for shopping, and the magnificent view over Locarno and the Lago Maggiore from the pilgrimage church Madonna del Sasso. You can reach the church easily by funicular or by foot taking the Via Crucis.
Your local discounts
(available all the year round at the hostel reception)
- CHF 2.- discount Swissminiatur Melide (Mar-Oct)
- CHF 5.- discount Go-Kart Locarno / Magadino
- CHF 5.- discount Parco Aventura – Rope park Gordola
- CHF 2.-/single, CHF 5.-/family discount for Falconeria Locarno
- CHF 2.-/adults, CHF 1.50/children for entry to the Lido
- 10% discount on a 4h-entrance at the Splash and Spa Tamaro in Rivera
Your member benefits
From Locarno station it’s a 20-minute walk to the youth hostel. Alternatively, take bus No. 1/7 in the direction of Ascona/Losone as far as the “Cinque Vie” stop, or take the Centovalli Railway as far as the “St. Antonio” stop.
Take the Locarno exit and from the “giant roundabout” follow the “Palagiovani” signs. Public car parking close by (chargeable).
From Locarno Railway Station approx. 1.5km, around 20 wheelchair minutes.
From Locarno Railway Station, take the No. 1 bus in the direction of Ascona Posta or the No 7 bus in the direction of Losone Caserma until the stop ‘Cinque Vie’ (both buses are low-floor buses).
Cross Via Rinaldo Simen, continue along Via Barolomeo Varenna in a westerly direction (around 100m). The Youth Hostel is located on the right-hand side.
Entrance path to the Youth Hostel: cobblestone.
The youth hostel has a limited number of chargeable car parking spaces. We will be pleased to make the disabled car parking space available free of charge for holders of an official blue disabled person’s parking permit.
- 23 Jan - 25 Jan 2015
- 30 Jan - 01 Feb 2015
- 06 Feb - 08 Feb 2015
- 13 Feb - 15 Feb 2015
- 20 Feb - 22 Feb 2015
- 27 Feb - 15 Nov 2015
- 20 Nov - 22 Nov 2015
- 27 Nov - 29 Nov 2015
- 04 Dec - 06 Dec 2015
- 11 Dec - 13 Dec 2015
- 18 Dec - 20 Dec 2015
3 - 10 pm
8 - 10 am
- Apr-Oct: 8 am - 10.30 pm
- Low season: 8 - 10 am / 5 - 10.30 pm
- 37 double rooms with 2 beds and washbasin*
- 8 double rooms with queen-size bed, shower/WC and balcony
- 14 double rooms with shower/WC, some with balcony
- 8 rooms with 4 beds and washbasin*
- 6 rooms with 4 beds and shower/WC, some with balcony*
- 4 rooms with 6 beds and shower/WC
* extra beds available
A total of 198 beds.
Showers and WC on the floor.
Good to know
All Swiss Youth Hostels can be booked on site.
- Breakfast buffet (incl.)
- Varied evening meal (3-course menu)
- Swiss and Mediterranean-style cuisine
- Lunch and packed lunch on request
- Special events on request
- 1 hall (concert seating up to 100 people)
- 1 conference room with flip charts and overhead projector (video projector on request)
- Children’s play area
- Garden in front of the building and inner courtyard
- Outdoor table tennis
- Various games available
- Laundry service
- Internet corner
- Rent a Bike: Bike rental at reasonable prices
- Free WiFi
The law of the Ticino canton forbids to accommodate young people under 16 years old: they can only stay if there is an adult person with them.