How we’re dealing with the coronavirus
COVID-19 Protection concept and measures of the Swiss Youth Hostels
The health of our guests, employees and fellow human beings is of utmost importance to us. We, therefore, provide regularly updated information about the measures taken in connection with Corona.
Swiss Youth Hostels have drawn up a national protection concept (in conformity with the Swiss Hotel Association) for all youth hostels, which is continuously adapted to the cantonal regulations. All staff members are trained accordingly. The protection concept in brief:
- We adhere strictly to the rules of the BAG (Federal Health Office).
- For all guests over 12 years of age, the wearing of a mask is mandatory in public rooms.
- Dispensers with disinfectant for the hands are placed in all public rooms.
- Common touch points are cleaned and disinfected several times a day.
- A maximum of four persons or families with children living in the same household may sit at each table in the restaurant/dining room.
- In the restaurant/dining room, the minimum distance between the tables is observed.
- Employees are trained in protective behavior, in the use of protective material and in proper cleaning.
- Cash payment should be avoided, whenever possible.
The most important questions
How much contact will guests have with employees?
- A plexiglass partition is used at the reception. All employees are required to wear a certified mask in areas where this is required.
- We offer a web check-in service which reduces the on-site registration procedure to an absolute minimum while also reducing contact with our reception staff. Contactless payment is preferred.
Can you continue to enjoy a meal at Swiss Youth Hostels?
- We adhere to the guidelines of the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) and recommendations of GastroSuisse.
- We continue to offer a breakfast buffet in accordance with the protection concept.
- All Swiss Youth Hostels continue to offer evening meals; please note: by reservation only.
- We kindly ask for your understanding, that there may be a fixed meal time.
What else must guests observe during their stay with us?
- The guidelines of the FOPH must be adhered to at your own responsibility. If cantonal regulations require the use of masks, we kindly ask you to respect this at all times.
- Please keep your distance from other guests and respect the defined maximum number of people allowed per establishment.
- Should illness symptoms arise, please immediately refrain from travelling.
What happens in case of quarantine or self-isolation ordered by the Federal Office of Public Health?
- Upon presentation of a written confirmation or a doctor’s medical certificate, the stay may be changed to another date, free of charge. In exceptional cases, a voucher may be issued.
What happens if I cannot travel due to illness (with a doctor’s medical certificate) or an accident?
- In this case, our general cancellation regulations apply. We warmly recommend taking out insurance to cover these kinds of incidents.
What happens if the number of cases largely increase?
- General cancellation regulations apply.
What happens if I arrive from a country listed by the FOPH as a high-risk country?
- Should entry not be possible due to official Swiss regulations or regulations issued by the country of origin, the stay may be postponed to another date, free of charge. In exceptional cases, a voucher may be issued.
Which regulations apply to schools?
Clean & Safe
The Swiss Youth Hostels take special measures to protect our guests and ensure that they have a pleasant stay in Switzerland. The «Clean & Safe» campaign is supported by Switzerland Tourism.