Stein am Rhein
Where time seems to stand still: Stein am Rhein in the beautiful Blauburgunderland region is proud of the splendid painted façades of its houses.
Stein am Rhein
You can see all the main sights from Hohenklingen Castle: on your right, the comfortable youth hostel with its large play area, with the Riipark lido next door; on the opposite bank of the Rhine, a church bell as old as the Swiss Confederation; and on your left, the little town of Stein am Rhein, where you can immerse yourself in history in an instant. Richly decorated façades and church walls, half-timbered houses and bay windows line the Rathausplatz square and the alleyways of the old town, and you can briefly dress as a bourgeois resident from around 1850 in the Lindwurm museum. Back in the present, choose from a large number of biking and hiking routes: either gently along the river or steeply through the hills, depending on your level of fitness.
Twenty minutes' on foot from the station, over the Rhine and then left along the riverbank via the jetty. By German trolley bus no 7349 in the direction to Ramsen/Singen, disembarking at "Strandbad Riipark". And then 3 minutes by foot to the hostel.
By car from the small village direction Schaffhausen, Hemishofen, Singen (DE). The youth hostel has a limited number of chargeable car parking spaces.
Number of beds
Spaces for bicycles
Bed linen included
Prices & availability
Breakfast buffet incl. Lunch on request 17.50 CHF Dinner 17.50 CHF Dinner for children aged 2–5 years 8.50 CHF Dinner for children aged 6–12 years 14.50 CHF Packed lunch on request 8.50 CHF
Further price information
- All prices exclusive of taxes CHF 1.10.– per person/night, including VAT.
- Nichtmitglieder zahlen einen Tageszuschlag von: CHF 7.–, Familien CHF 14.–, Gruppen: CHF 55.– / CHF 99.–
- Children aged 2 to 5 stay for just CHF 15 and children aged 6 to 12 for just CHF 25 per night in the parents’ or grandparents’ room, including breakfast. Babies aged from 0 to 1 stay in a cot, where available, free of charge. Children’s prices do not apply to double rooms.
- Gruppenpreise Kinder von 2–5 Jahren pauschal CHF 15.–, von 6–12 Jahren gelten Bettenpreise/Gruppenpreise
- Parkplatz pro Übernachtung CHF 7.–
- Freiwillige CO2-Kompensation CHF 0.30
- Preisänderungen vorbehalten
- Verrechnung aller Preise in CHF
50 years after their opening the Stein am Rhein Youth Hostel has been renovated. Now, in order to allow barrier-free use of the youth hostel, a lift is being installed and the Swiss Youth Hostels redesigned the entire public area including the reception and food-serving area at the same time. With this conversion and the previous investment in 2006, the youth hostel becomes barrier-free for all day rooms and room types. Thanks to the skilful integration of the necessary conversions, the youth hostel is not only being made more accessible for people with disabilities, it is also becoming more attractive for all guests.
The project shows in exemplary fashion how well-thought-out solutions can achieve barrier-free access and simultaneously result in improved operation that benefits all guests, thus creating added value.
Room Barrier-free beds per room 1 double room with shower/WC barrier-free 2 beds 3 4-bed rooms with washbasin 2 beds each 7 6-bed rooms with washbasin 3 beds each
There is no ramp.
The Youth Hostel has a wheelchair-accessible lift.
- The width of the corridor in front of the elevator is 200 cm
- The width of the elevator door is 90 cm
- Elevator width: 120 cm
- Elevator depth: 140 cm
The room door width is 80 cm.
Barrier-free wet cell
Barrier-free toilets and showers are located on the guest room floor and in the basement. One double room features a fully disabled-friendly en-suite bathroom.
The wet cell dimensions are:
- Width of wet cell door: 80 cm
- WC seat height: 45 cm
- The washbasin is wheelchair accessible: 75 cm
- Shower seat
- Shower handle
By train / by foot
From Stein am Rhein station, go along Bahnhofstrasse to the roundabout. Cross it and when you reach the other side, follow the “Altstadt” signs. Cross the Rhine and take the first left turn after the bridge (after the Hotel Rheinfels, Bärengasse). Follow the Rhine downstream through the harbour area and along the promenade (unsurfaced path). This path joins the main road after 500 m. Follow this road to the youth hostel at No. 87 (no pavement for the final 100 metres).
At Stein am Rhein station, take German Railways bus No. 7349 towards Ramsen/Singen. Alight at the “Strandbad” stop. Follow the main road to the youth hostel at No. 87 (no pavement for the final 100 metres).
Leave the town in the direction of Schaffhausen, Hemishofen, Singen (DE). The youth hostel has a chargeable, wheelchair-accessible parking space directly in front of the main entrance. Please ensure that you make an advance reservation. We will be pleased to make the disabled car parking space available free of charge for holders of the official blue disabled person’s parking permit.
Links for public transport
- Information about public transport for people in wheelchairs (website only in German, French and Italian)
- Swiss Railways (SBB)
8260 Stein am Rhein
Phone: +41 52 741 41 41
Apotheke zum Mohrenkönig AG
8260 Stein am Rhein
Phone: +41 52 741 21 33
- Rheinfall-Rundweg, route no. 896
- Eschheimertalweg, route no. 904
- Uferweg Stein am Rhein, route no. 905
- Mobility International Switzerland: barrier-free excursions and activities