Bern Youth Hostel in the Marzili district can welcome guests with its new look. All that remains is its unique location between the Federal Parliament Building and the River Aare.
Bern Youth Hostel is worthy of a capital city. The listed hostel with a view of the Aare loop has been offering a bright extension with seminar rooms and a garden seating area since April 2018. As before, you'll be able to plan activities over lunch or under the trees, including a visit to the square in front of the Federal Parliament Building with its 26 water fountains, the bear park, the Paul Klee centre, the Einstein House or the arcades in the historic old town. And don't miss out on the excitement of swimming in the River Aare or biking on the Gurten mountain!
|Opening dates||01.01.2022 - 31.12.2022||01.01.2023 - 31.12.2023||01.10.2024 - 31.12.2024||01.01.2025 - 31.12.2025|
|Check-in||15:00 - 23:00||15:00 - 23:00||15:00 - 23:00||15:00 - 23:00|
|Check-out||07:00 - 10:00||07:00 - 10:00||07:00 - 10:00||07:00 - 10:00|
|Mon to Fri:||00:00 - 23:59||00:00 - 23:29||00:00 - 23:59||00:00 - 23:59|
|Sat and Sun:||00:00 - 23:59||00:00 - 23:59||00:00 - 23:59||00:00 - 23:59|
|Breakfast||07:00 - 09:00||07:00 - 09:00||07:00 - 09:00||07:00 - 09:00|
|Lunch||11:45 - 13:30||11:45 - 13:30||11:45 - 13:30||11:45 - 13:30|
|Dinner||18:00 - 20:00||18:00 - 20:00||18:00 - 20:00||18:00 - 20:00|
How to find us
Go from the train station trough the «Christoffelgasse» via «Bundesterrasse».
Take the Marzili train from the «Bundesterrasse» to Marzili or by foot all the way down the «Bundesrain» (The way is described)
At the valley station «Marzilibahn» on the left enter the street «Weihergasse»
The Youth Hostel is the last house on the left side.
The Marzili train drives until 9pm afterwards, there is a Bus Nr. 30 that takes you from the station Square via Mazili. Drive until the Bus station «Dalmaziquai»
Parking spaces 50 m from the entrance. Please remember to book in advance.
By car / by foot: Around 900 m from the station and 100m from Dalmazibrücke bus stop
During the day (up to 21.00): From the Bahnhofplatz, take Christoffelgasse to Bundesgasse. Cross the street and go left down Bundesgasse for around 50 m. On reaching Gurtengasse, go right through the small park to the Marzilibahn (small cable railway). The Marzilibahn is wheelchair accessible. On reaching the lower station of the Marzilibahn, bear left into Weihergasse. The youth hostel is the last building on the left. A paved path takes you via the garden seating area to the main entrance.
From 21.00: Take the number 30 bus (low-floor bus with folding ramp) from the Bahnhofplatz to the «Dalmazibrücke» bus stop. Cross Weihergasse around 50 m down river and continue for about 30 m. The youth hostel is on the right. A paved path takes you via the garden seating area to the main entrance.
By car: The youth hostel has two wheelchair friendly parking spaces (charge applies) around 50 m from the main entrance. Please remember to book in advance. Disabled persons with an official blue parking permit have free access to these parking spaces.
Number of beds
Spaces for bicycles
Bed linen included
Dogs on request
At the water
Prices (in CHF) and availability
Breakfast buffet incl. Dinner CHF 19.50 Dinner for children ages 2–5 years CHF 8.50 Dinner for children ages 6–12 years CHF 14.50 Packed lunch on request CHF 10.00
We accept Lunch-Checks!
Breakfast: Monday – Sunday 7 am – 9.30 am
Yoummi – the catering option from Swiss Youth Hostels
Further price information
- All prices exclusive of taxes CHF 2.90 per person/night, including VAT.
- The Hostel Card Standard is included in the price of accommodation and is valid from the day of arrival to the day of departure.
- You have the option of purchasing a Hostel Card Premium and benefit from cheaper accommodation prices in all Swiss youth Hostels. More information about the Hostel Card Premium
- Groups (minimum of 10 people) are advised to buy a Hostel Card Premium (personal: CHF 55.– / non-personal: CHF 99.–)
- Regardless of the chosen room category, children ages 2 to 5 years pay a flat rate of CHF 15.– and 6 to 12 years CHF 25.– per night in the parents' room, including breakfast. Infants from birth to age 1 stay in a cot, where available, free of charge. Children’s prices do not apply to double rooms.
- Group rates for children ages 2 to 5 years, a flat rate of CHF 15.–; from ages 6 to12 years, accommodation prices / group prices apply
- Car park per night CHF 10.–
- Charging stations for electric vehicles: Parking fee per night: CHF 10, Fee for the electric charging station per charge: CHF 10 (KEBA x-P30/c-P30 up to 22kW, socket type 2, GSM 3G, RFID)
- Voluntary CO2-Compensation CHF 0.30
- Rates are subject to change
- All rates in CHF
The entire ground floor of the main building (restaurant and reception) has two slightly different levels. A ramp with a 6% incline links the two together, making it accessible to wheelchairs. The garden seating area has a tarmac surface, linking the main building to the sleeping block. In Bern, instead asphalt. Concrete plates are barrier-free.
49 rooms at Bern Youth Hostel have barrier free access.
Rooms Barrier-free beds per room 2 double rooms with barrier-free shower/WC 2 beds 2 family rooms with barrier-free shower/WC 3 beds 13 double rooms with shower/WC 2 beds 13 4-bed rooms with shower/WC 2 beds 14 4-bed rooms with washbasin 2 beds 3 6-bed rooms with washbasin 3 beds 2 8-bed rooms with washbasin 4 beds
The ramp has a slope of 6%.
All areas are wheelchair friendly and easily accessible from the upper floors via the passenger elevator.
- Width of corridor outside elevator: 150 cm
- Width of elevator door: 80 cm
- Width of elevator: 110/115 cm
- Depth of elevator: 140/210 cm
Width of room doors 80 cm.
Barrier-free wash rooms
There is a barrier-free WC on the ground floor (restaurant/reception). There is an accessible basin in every room. The main building has three floors with multi-bedded rooms and a wheelchair accessible wash room on each level. The sleeping block houses 2- and 4-bedded rooms. This includes 2 double and 2 family rooms equipped with a barrier-free shower/WC. There is a wheelchair accessible wash room on the first floor.
Wash room dimensions:
- Door width: 80 cm
- WC seat height: 46 cm
- Height of access under basin: 70 cm
- Fitted shower seat
- Fitted grab rails
By car / by foot
Around 900 m from the station and 100 m from Dalmazibrücke bus stop
- During the day (up to 21.00): From the Bahnhofplatz, take Christoffelgasse to Bundesgasse. Cross the street and go left down Bundesgasse for around 50 m. On reaching Gurtengasse, go right through the small park to the Marzilibahn (small cable railway). The Marzilibahn is wheelchair accessible. On reaching the lower station of the Marzilibahn, bear left into Weihergasse. The youth hostel is the last building on the left. A paved path takes you via the garden seating area to the main entrance.
- From 21.00:Take the number 30 bus (low-floor bus with folding ramp) from the Bahnhofplatz to the «Dalmazibrücke» bus stop. Cross Weihergasse around 50 m down river and continue for about 30 m. The youth hostel is on the right. A paved path takes you via the garden seating area to the main entrance.
The youth hostel has one wheelchair friendly parking space (charge applies) around 50 m from the main entrance. Please remember to book in advance. Disabled persons with an official blue parking permit have free access to these parking spaces.
Links to public transport
- Schweizerische Bundesbahnen (SBB)
- Swiss Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired: Barrier-free public transport (website only in German and French)
- BETAX Mobilität für Behinderte, Phone: +41 31 990 30 80
- Bären Taxi AG, Phone: 0800 55 42 32
- Bäre Apotheke
Tel: +41 31 311 10 94
- Kornhaus Apotheke
Tel: +41 31 311 72 11
- Emme-Uferweg, route no. 446
- Dählhölzli Zoo Berne (all path are wheelchair accessible – website only in German)
- Berne Tourism: Mobility-impaired people
- Relief city map of Berne available at the visitor center at the station, Phone: +41 31 328 12 12, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tourism inclusive (in German & French only)
Supporting the OK:GO initiative
Swiss Youth Hostels is part of the OK:GO initiative. This initiative aims to ensure that every tourism provider in Switzerland offers information about the accessibility of its services to the public. Learn more about the initiative here.
ginto profile of Bern Youth Hostel
Visit our ginto page for Bern Youth Hostel now and find out all about barrier-free accommodation at this hostel.
Interactive 360° tour
Discover Bern Youth Hostel on a virtual tour