Holidays in Ticino with a difference – sleep at the foot of a medieval fortress listed as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site!
Montebello Youth Hostel is part of a large villa with a breathtaking backdrop and an eventful history. Castello di Montebello, one of the best-preserved medieval castles in Switzerland and part of an impressive fortress which is classed as a World Heritage site, rises majestically right behind the hostel. A private school and boarding school for girls until the early 1990s, these days primary and secondary school pupils enter and leave the building alongside our guests. The hostel's peaceful location away from the daily hustle and bustle of the transport hub of Bellinzona is just as advantageous as its proximity to the historic town centre and the train station, where it's easy to start a trip to Swissminiatur.
|Opening dates||01.03.2019 - 30.11.2019|
|Check-in||15:00 - 19:00|
|Check-out||08:00 - 10:00|
|Mon to Fri:||
15:00 - 19:00
|Sat and Sun:||
15:00 - 19:00
|Breakfast||07:00 - 10:00|
|Dinner||18:30 - 19:30|
How to find us
Bellinzona, arrival by public transport/on foot:
When you leave the station, turn left and head through the old town’s pedestrianised area (Viale Stazione). When you reach the Piazza Indipendenza, follow signs to the youth hostel until you reach our pedestrian entrance on Via Bonzanigo (around 15 minutes). You can also take the bus from the station (number 3 or 5) to Piazza Indipendenza. It is two minutes’ walk from there.
By car: Take the Bellinzona Süd motorway exit; continue northwards on the Via Franco Zorzi. Turn right at the traffic lights (you will see the bus stop Arte e Mestieri on your left, and a modern red building on your right), then immediately take the next left, then turn right again. You should now have reached the Piazza Indipendenza: from here, follow the signs to the youth hostel (or CERVIA) (around 6 km).
Number of beds
Spaces for bicycles
Bed linen included
Dogs on request
At the water
Prices (in CHF) and availability
Breakfast buffet incl. Lunch on request from CHF 15.50 Dinner on request from CHF 15.50 Packed lunch on request from CHF 8.50
Lunch and dinner are only available for groups and upon request (at least 3 weeks in advance).
Further price information
- All prices exclusive of taxes CHF 2.40 per person/night, including VAT
- The Hostel Card Standard is included in the price of accommodation and is valid from the day of arrival to the day of departure.
- You have the option of purchasing a Hostel Card Premium and benefit from cheaper accommodation prices in all Swiss youth Hostels. More information about the Hostel Card Premium
- Groups (minimum of 10 people) are advised to buy a Hostel Card Premium (personal: CHF 55.– / non-personal: CHF 99.–)
- Children aged 2 to 5 stay for just CHF 15.– and children aged 6 to 12 for just CHF 25.– per night in the parents’ or grandparents’ room, including breakfast. Babies aged from 0 to 1 stay in a cot, where available, free of charge. Children’s prices do not apply to double rooms.
- Group rates for children aged 2–5 years, a flat rate of CHF 15.–; from 6 to 12 years, accommodation prices / group prices apply
- Car park per night (01 Jul–30 Aug) CHF 5.–
- Voluntary CO2-Compensation CHF 0.30
- Rates are subject to change
- All rates in CHF
Underage: Teenagers between 16 and 17 years old need a written parent’s consent in order to stay at the Ostello Montebello – Bellinzona Youth Hostel (form available on request).
Kids youger than 16 years old can only stay if accompanied by a responsible adult.
Adults travelling with children, who are not their own, need to have a written authorisations from the parents/legal tutor (form available on request).
We can not guarantee your stay at the Hostel in case of missing informations.
2 rooms at the Bellinzona Youth Hostel have barrier-free access.
Room Barrier-free beds per room 2 double rooms 1 bed each
All the ramps in the hostel have a slope of less than 6%.
The youth hostel also has a wheelchair-accessible lift.
- The width of the corridor in front of the elevator is 2 x 3 m
- The width of the elevator door is 72.5 cm.
- Elevator width: 100 cm
- Elevator depth: 82 cm
The room door width is 80 cm.
Barrier-free wet cell
On the 5th floor there is a barrier-free shower/WC.
By train / by foot
Turn left on leaving the station, go straight across the old town pedestrian zone (Viale Stazione); when you reach the Piazza Indipendenza, follow the youth hostel signs. You will find our pedestrian access in the Via Bonzanigo (ca. 15 min.). By bus from the station (line No. 1 or No. 56) to Piazza Indipendenza then 2 mins. on foot.
- Variant I (motorway exit Bellinzona North): take the right-hand lane towards Bellinzona, then follow the main road for ca. 4 km straight ahead (heading south, towards Bellinzona, Lugano, Locarno), left at the traffic roundabout after the COOP, followed immediately by another left turn (direction car park Cervia, Ospedale), then follow the youth hostel signs (ca. 5 km).
- Variant II (motorway exit Bellinzona South): continue heading north on the Via Franco Zorzi. Turn right at the traffic lights (on the left, the Arte e Mestieri bus stop, on the right, a modern red building) and immediately afterwards take the next left, then right again. You are now on the Piazza Indipendenza. Follow the youth hostel signs (or CERVIA) (ca. 6 km).
- The youth hostel has only normal, chargeable parking spaces beneath the youth hostel. Please ensure you make an advance reservation. We will be pleased to make the disabled car parking space available free of charge for holders of the official blue disabled person’s parking permit.
Links for public transport
- Swiss Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired: Barrier-free public transport (website only in German and French)
- Swiss Railways (SBB)
STB Fondazione trasporti per persone handicappate
via Tommaso Rodari 6
Phone +41 91 825 55 88
Phone: +41 91 825 16 55
Fax:+41 91 825 18 46