The youth hostel right next to the old town of Avenches is your gateway to the Roman town, the vineyards on Mont Vully and the Three Lakes region.
Owing to comprehensive renovation and extension work carried out in 2013/14, this youth hostel is a favourite with hikers, cyclists, horse riders, culture vultures, language students, families and school classes alike. The former orphanage boasts a beautiful garden where willows and chestnut trees reach towards the skies, a bright and airy dining room, modern, functional rooms and a barrier-free wooden pavilion. Unforgettable experiences are guaranteed thanks to the very well-maintained Roman amphitheatre, which is within easy walking distance, the ruins of the former Roman town, pleasure hikes through the vineyards, fun in the sun in one of the nearby stretches of water.
Number of beds
Spaces for bicycles
Bed linen included
Prices & availability
Breakfast buffet incl. Lunch on request 17.50 CHF Dinner 17.50 CHF Dinner for children aged 2–5 years 8.50 CHF Dinner for children aged 6–12 years 14.50 CHF Packed lunch on request 8.50 CHF
Further price information
- All prices exclusive of taxes CHF 2.– per person/night, including VAT.
- Non-members pay a daily sur-charge: CHF 7.–, families CHF 14.–, Groups: CHF 55.– / CHF 99.–
- Children aged 2 to 5 stay for just CHF 15 and children aged 6 to 12 for just CHF 25 per night in the parents’ or grandparents’ room, including breakfast. Babies aged from 0 to 1 stay in a cot, where available, free of charge. Children’s prices do not apply to double rooms.
- Group rates for children aged 2–5 years, a flat rate of CHF 15.–; from 6–12 years, accommodation prices / group prices apply
- Car park per night CHF 7.-
- Voluntary CO2-Compensation CHF 0.30
- Rates are subject to change, all rates in CHF
The newly refurbished youth hostel in Avenches is a showpiece of how even heritage buildings can offer obstacle-free accommodation. The wheelchair-accessible pavilion comprising two double rooms with shower/WC and the exterior space is linked to all public areas of the main house by a covered walkway. In addition, there is a disabled-friendly wet cell on the ground floor of the main building allowing full use of the day rooms.
Room Barrier-free beds per room 2 double rooms with shower/WC barrier-free 2 beds
The ramps have a maximum slope of 6%.
The main building has no lift.
The room door width is 80 cm.
Barrier-free wet cell
A disabled-friendly toilet and shower is located on the ground floor of the main building. The two pavilion rooms have a fully disabled-friendly wet cell.
The wet cell dimensions are:
- Width of wet cell door: 80 cm
- WC seat height: 44 cm
- The washbasin is wheelchair accessible: 68 cm
- Shower seat
- Shower handle
By train / on foot
From Fribourg via Payerne by train in an hour, from Bern via Kerzers in 50 mins. Take the No. 544 bus from the station to the Faubourg stop.
Turn off from the main road in Fribourg towards Donatyre (sign). The youth hostel has two chargeable, wheelchair-accessible parking spaces. Please ensure you make an advance reservation. We will be pleased to make the disabled car parking space available free of charge for holders of the official blue disabled person’s parking permit.
- Information about public transport for people in wheelchairs (website only in German, French and Italian)
- Swiss Railways (SBB)
Ch. de la Plaine 9
Tel: +41 26 676 03 44
Pharmacie et Droguerie Avenchoise
Rue Centrale 31
Tel: +41 26 676 92 20