Handling of COVID-19
COVID-19 Protection concept and measures of the Swiss Youth Hostels
The health of our guests, employees and fellow human beings is of utmost importance to us. We, therefore, provide regularly updated information about the measures taken in connection with Corona.
Swiss Youth Hostels have drawn up a national protection concept (in conformity with the Swiss Hotel Association) for all youth hostels, which is continuously adapted to the cantonal regulations. All staff members are trained accordingly. The protection concept in brief:
- We adhere strictly to the rules of the BAG (Federal Health Office).
- For all guests over 12 years of age, the wearing of a mask is mandatory in public rooms.
- Dispensers with disinfectant for the hands are placed in all public rooms.
- Common touch points are cleaned and disinfected several times a day.
- In the restaurant/dining room, the minimum distance between the tables is observed.
- Employees are trained in protective behavior, in the use of protective material and in proper cleaning.
- Cash payment should be avoided, whenever possible.
- In the event of a positive test result or an official quarantine, you will be able to cancel your stay free of charge. We generally recommend booking a flexible rate. You can find all other information in the key questions.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic there are special rules for people entering Switzerland. Depending on the type of travel, you might have to fill out an entry form, show proof of a negative test and/or go into quarantine. Read more
The most important questions
What happens if I am ill with coronavirus?
If you provide written confirmation or a medical certificate, your stay can be postponed to a later date or cancelled free of charge.
Can I cancel my stay if I have coronavirus symptoms?
What happens in case of quarantine or self-isolation ordered by the Federal Office of Public Health?
- Upon presentation of a written confirmation or a doctor’s medical certificate, the stay may be changed to another date, free of charge. In exceptional cases, a voucher may be issued.
How much contact will guests have with employees?
- A perspex screen is used at reception. Employees comply with the requirement to wear a certified face mask.
- We offer a web check-in service which reduces the on-site registration procedure to an absolute minimum while also reducing contact with our reception staff. Contactless payment is preferred.
Can you continue to enjoy a meal at Swiss Youth Hostels?
- We adhere to the guidelines of the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) and recommendations of GastroSuisse.
- We continue to offer a breakfast buffet in accordance with the protection concept.
- All Swiss Youth Hostels continue to offer evening meals; please note: by reservation only.
- Lunch or packed lunches are available on request at some locations.
- A maximum of four people are allowed to sit at each table, with the exception of families with more children.
- We kindly ask for your understanding, that there may be a fixed meal time.
What else must guests observe during their stay with us?
- Everyone has a personal responsibility to follow the FOPH guidelines. Face coverings must be worn in all public spaces.
- Please keep your distance from other guests and respect the defined maximum number of people allowed per establishment.
- Should illness symptoms arise, please immediately refrain from travelling.
What happens if the number of cases largely increase?
- General cancellation regulations apply.
What happens if I arrive from a country listed by the FOPH as a high-risk country?
- Should entry not be possible due to official Swiss regulations or regulations issued by the country of origin, the stay may be postponed to another date, free of charge. In exceptional cases, a voucher may be issued.
Can I cancel my stay if my home country has a mandatory quarantine requirement for travellers arriving from Switzerland?
- The standard cancellation policy applies, unless the mandatory quarantine requirement in your home country was introduced after you made your booking. In that case, your stay can be postponed to a later date or cancelled free of charge.
- If the mandatory quarantine requirement is introduced during your stay, you may cancel the remaining nights after your departure free of charge.
Which regulations apply to schools?
What regulations apply to groups?
- If one person has tested positive for coronavirus, then that one person’s stay will be cancelled free of charge upon submission of a medical certificate.
- If the entire group has been in contact with the person who has tested positive, then the whole stay can be postponed once proof is provided.
Clean & Safe
The Swiss Youth Hostels take special measures to protect our guests and ensure that they have a pleasant stay in Switzerland. The «Clean & Safe» campaign is supported by Switzerland Tourism.