Because the Canton of Ticino is located almost at sea level (at an altitude of 192 metres), it is possible to enjoy a Mediterranean climate from springtime until the end of November. It also means that a large part of life at the "Palagiovani" is spent outdoors - for example at a "Grigliata" in the inner courtyard surrounded by the building's three wings. Naturally, nearly all the modern double and four-person rooms have a balcony. And it's also pleasant to get together on the veranda or under the pergola.
Palagiovani - the first palace of youth
In addition to the Youth Hostel, the unique "Palace of Youth" also houses Ticino's local radio station, a youth bureau and the music school. There's always something going on in this stately old house, once a boarding school for young ladies. The Palagiovani is also suitable for congresses, thanks to its various seminar rooms.
Locarno is the starting point for a wide range of activities: whether sailing on Lake Maggiore - for example from Ascona to the Brissago islands - or energetic mountain bike excursions in the valleys of the Sopraceneri. The valleys of Ticino offer several hundred kilometres of hiking paths, there are 700 km of these in the Vallemaggia alone. For the adventurous, there is action such as bungee jumping or canyoning. Or how about a visit to the Teatro Dimitri in Verscio?
Film festival, Piazza Grande etc.
Just past the Youth Hostel begins the old city centre of Locarno. Its centre is the Piazza Grande where in summer there are festivals and events almost every week. The most famous festival is the film festival in august.
But there is even more in Locarno: the big arcades along the Piazza Grande that invite you for shopping, and the magnificent view over Locarno and the Lago Maggiore from the pilgrimage church Madonna del Sasso. You can reach the church easily by funicular or by foot taking the Via Crucis.
Your local discounts
(available all the year round at the hostel reception)
- Free travel with the "Ticino Ticket": Valid in the canton Ticino; tourists will be able to use all public transport free of charge as well as being granted special rates for various leisure activities during their stay. You are given the “Ticino Ticket” upon arrival and it is valid until the end of your day of departure.
- CHF 5.- discount Go-Kart Locarno / Magadino
- CHF 5.- discount Parco Aventura – Rope park Gordola
- CHF 2.-/single, CHF 5.-/family discount for Falconeria Locarno
- CHF 2.-/adults, CHF 1.50/children for entry to the Lido
- 10% discount on a 4h-entrance at the Splash and Spa Tamaro in Rivera
- 10% discount on Swiss River Adventures Canyoning Tours
- Free discount card - More than 70 reductions up to 50% off, save up to CHF 350.-
- up to 10% discount on travel guides and maps from Libreria Cartoleria Locarnese
- 10% discount on sports goods at
- 10% discount on thermal grot