Sta.Maria Youth Hostel
The Chasa Plaz youth hostel is housed in a building, dating back to 1537, which was formerly used as a guest- and warehouse. Once upon a time, the vaulted cellar room was packed high with goods, which were transported on horse-back over the Ofen and Umbrail Passes or through the narrow Calven valley. Years later, when hand-weaving was a dying profession, the Tessanda was formed to provide local girls and women with an education and a means of income.
This noble house has been a youth hostel since 1966 and now serves as a hub for those wishing to explore the area's fabulous natural and cultural landscape. The Swiss National Park and the no-less impressive Italian Stilfzerjoch National Park are easy to reach from Sta. Maria. History-lovers are transported back to the Middle Ages in the South Tirolean village of Vinschgau, just a few kilometres away. As well as churches and abbeys, the area are also numerous castles. Mustair Abbey is a world heritage site dating back to the early Middle Ages. The abbey was built in the 8th century and houses well-preserved frescos, dating back to Carolingian times.
Your local discounts
(Available all the year round at the hostel reception)
- activ Pass Val Müstair (Hike, family days…)
Further member benefits
From Zürich to Klosters via Landquart, through the Vereina tunnel to Susch or Zernez and then by postal bus over the Ofen pass to Sta. Maria.
From Landquart over the Flüela pass or through the Vereina tunnel (car train) to Susch and over the Ofen pass to Sta. Maria.
- 31 May - 19 Oct 2014
- 26 Dec 2014 - 08 Mar 2015
- 06 Jun - 18 Oct 2015
- 26 Dec - 31 Dec 2015
- Open all year round for groups of 20 and over, on request
5 - 7 pm
until 10 am
- 1 room with 2 beds, shower and washbasin
- 4 rooms with 4 beds
- 1 room with 5 beds
- 1 room with 6 beds
- 1 room with 8 beds
- 1 room with 14 beds
51 beds in total.
Shower/WC on the floor.
Good to know
All Swiss Youth Hostels can be booked on site.
- Breakfast buffet (only during high season) (incl.)
- Evening meal available for groups on request
- Self-catering kitchen
- Kitchen specially for groups (only during low season)
- Large lounge
- Stone-pine parlor
- Garden seating place with playground
- Fireplace or barbecue place
- Table tennis, table football
- Historic cellar vault with museum Stelvio-Umbrail (1914–1918)
- Free WiFi