Berne Youth Hostel
7 rooms in Berne Youth Hostel offer barrier-free access, and 2 to 3 beds per room are disability-friendly. The width of the doors is 79cm.
The entire ground floor (dining room and reception) is built at ground level, and therefore offers good wheelchair access. From the dining room, a stair-lift takes guests to the gallery (split-level), where three of the disability-friendly rooms are located. A second stair-lift takes guests to the ground floor, where a further 4 disability-friendly rooms are available. A disability-friendly shower/WC is also located in the ground floor. Guests who wish to avoid using the stair-lifts can also access the rooms and the disability-friendly shower/WC via the entrance to the side wing at ground level.
The garden seating area is paved with composite stones.
Accessible beds per room
- 7 family rooms: 2 - 3 beds (lower bunk beds)
A disability-friendly toilet is available on the ground floor (dining room), and a disability-friendly shower/WC is available on the ground floor of the side wing.
(from Berne Railway Station approx. 900m, from the bus stop ‘Dalmazibrücke’ approx. 100m)
During the day (up to 9 p.m.)
From Bahnhofplatz through Christoffelgasse to Bundesgasse. Cross the road and continue along Bundesgasse for about 50m to the left. At the level of Gurtengasse, turn right through the small park to the Marzilibahn. The Marzilibahn is wheelchair accessible. At the Marzilibahn valley station turn left into Weihergasse. The Youth Hostel is the last building on the left-hand side. A path paved with composite stones leads across the garden seating area to the main entrance.
After 9 p.m.
From Bahnhofplatz take bus No. 30 (low floor bus with folding ramp) to the bus stop ‘Dalmazibrücke’. About 50m downstream cross Weihergasse and follow this for about 30m. The Youth Hostel is on the right-hand side. A path paved with composite stones leads across the garden seating area to the main entrance.
The youth hostel has two chargeable, wheelchair-accessible car parking spaces some 50m from the main entrance.
- BernMobil (website only in German)
- Information about public transport for people in wheelchairs (website only in German, French and Italian)
- Swiss Railways (SBB)
- BETAX Mobilität für Behinderte, Phone: +41 31 990 30 80
- Bären Taxi AG, Phone: 0800 55 42 32
Phone: +41 31 311 10 94
Phone: +41 31 311 72 11
- Dählhölzli Zoo Berne (all path are wheelchair accessible – website only in German)
- Relief city map of Berne available at the visitor center at the station, Phone: +41 31 328 12 28, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barrier-free excursions and activities