Basel Youth Hostel
The new youth hostel is a showpiece. The architects Buchner & Bründler signify innovative and modern architecture. New features are combined with existing aspects in Basel. Together with the construction of the youth hostel, the architects were also responsible for the Swiss Pavilion at the World Expo in Shanghai. An international orientation like youth hostels is therefore also normal for the architects.
The youth hostel is available for guests from all over the world. The new building was reopend with 234 beds in different room categories (double room to a room for 6 persons). The entrance lobby has an impressive look due to the transparency of the reception area, lounge and dining room. The combination of old and new features can be seen from the outside and perceived inside – everything is based on high architectural standards. The rooms are smaller, but still comfortably appointed.
Your local discounts
- "Mobility Ticket" (free transfer in Basel by public transport): Each guest staying in Basel receives a free Mobility Ticket when checking in. This allows free use of public transport in the city of Basel and its environs (zones 10, 11 and EuroAirport) for the entire duration of the stay (max. 30 days). On the day of arrival, the reservation confirmation from the youth hostel guarantees a free transfer by public transport from the station or the EuroAirport to the youth hostel.
Further member benefits
With the financial support of:
From EuroAirport Basel take the Airport shuttle bus no. 50. It will take you to the Basel main station SBB in approximately 16 minutes. From there follow directions as described from the train station SBB.
15 minutes’ walk from the railway station via Aeschenplatz or on tram line No.2 from the railway station to the “Kunstmuseum” (Art Museum) stop. Then 5 minutes’ walk through the Alban suburb down Mühleberg towards the Rhine, past St. Alban Church to the youth hostel. Signposted at the railway station.
Limited number of parking spaces in the surrounding area.
Free parking spaces for busses (PDF, 290 KB) in the surrounding area.
(from Basel SBB Railway Station, 1.4km, approx. 20 minutes) By tram line 8 to ‘Aeschenplatz’, change to tram line 3 or 14, alighting at the stop ‘Hardstrasse’.
Follow the grass strip which runs down the middle of the road to St. Alban-Anlage (approx. 200 m), then cross the road to the left in the direction of Turm/Park. Follow the road St. Alban-Vorstadt for about 100m (curve to the left), turning right at the first junction (St. Alban-Berg). Then turn immediately left into St.Alban Kirchrain, following this for 100m until you reach the Youth Hostel on the right.
Swiss Trac is recommended, as the route from the Youth Hostel to the city is steep.
The Youth Hostel does not have any parking spaces. Only loading and unloading possible. A limited number of parking spaces are available in the quarter.
at any time, rooms are ready from 3 pm
until 10 am
- 21 double rooms with shower/WC
- 3 rooms with 4 beds (family rooms) and shower/WC
- 36 rooms with 4 beds and washbasin
- 6 rooms with 6 beds and washbasin
A total of 234 beds.
Showers/WC on the floor.
- Breakfast buffet (incl.)
- Lunch and evening meal (3-course menu)
- Vegetarian meals
- Special events and meals for groups on request
- Bar service
- snacks 24 hours a day
- Large lobby
- Snack bar
- 1 conference room (22 seats)
- Extensive seminar equipment (video projector, TV/DVD, etc.)
- Kiosk with souvenirs (Swatch, Victorinox, Wenger, SYH merchandising, etc.)
- Bicycle cellar
- Internet corner
- Free WiFi